Did you need to read that title over a few times? Healthy chocolate cupcakes? It’s ok … I was in disbelief too.
Emily was REALLY wanting to make cupcakes today .. but I refused to make them unless I could find a healthier recipe. Well .. I think we were successful! I came across this recipe — which replaces the butter with coconut oil … and the sugar with real maple syrup. Are they totally healthy? Well .. not totally. I wouldn’t eat too many of them! But if you want a treat … they are definitely a healthier option than regular cupcakes.
I was REALLY hoping these would turn out well so I could ‘fool’ the older 2 kids when they got home from skiing for the day … and it TOTALLY WORKED! They had no idea they were not standard cupcakes. Yup … #momwin!
1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
¾ cup white whole wheat flour or gluten-free flour
2 tsp baking powder
¼ tsp salt
2 tbsp coconut oil (or unsalted butter) melted and cooled slightly
2 large eggs at room temperature
1 tbsp vanilla extract
¼ cup plain nonfat Greek yogurt
⅔ cup pure maple syrup
¼ cup milk
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line 12 regular size muffin cups (or 24 mini muffin cups) with paper liners, and generously coat the liners with cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the cocoa powder, flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, stir together the butter or coconut oil, eggs, and vanilla. Mix in the Greek yogurt, stirring until no large lumps remain. Stir in the pure maple syrup.
- Alternate between adding the flour mixture and the milk, beginning and ending with the flour mixture, and stirring just until mixed.
- Divide the batter between the prepared paper liners. Bake for 15-18 mins for mini muffins OR 20-22 mins for full size… until the centers feel firm to the touch and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool in the pan for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Once cool … continue to icing below …
NOTE — I used a standard (but slightly lower sugar) recipe for the icing as I didn’t want to go too crazy with the healthy on these. AND … in my research of healthy icings … I didn’t have the ingredients on hand — like coconut sugar and coconut cream. Next time I make these cupcakes (which will be soon!), I will have these on hand to try out a healthier option for icing. But for today — this was my icing recipe ..
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips or chopped chocolate (use paleo / dairy-free / vegan chocolate chips, if necessary)
1/4 cup milk of choice
1/4 cup coconut oil or unsalted butter for a dairy-containing version
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
pinch of salt
1/3 cup powdered sugar
- In microwave safe bowl, melt chocolate chips and oil/butter
- Mix in milk, vanilla, salt, and sugar. Mix together until all clumps disappear.
- With a spatula, spread icing on top of cupcakes. NOTE — icing does harden slightly as it sits.
** I will update the icing recipe when I try out a healthier option. But for now this one is SUPER YUM!!!!